Wednesday, January 8, 2014

From Lawyer to Middle School Teacher

How do you go from being a lawyer to being a teacher?

I practiced criminal defense work.  So, the funny answer is that I became a teacher to help kids before they become criminals.

But, really.  In law school, I realized I am very interested in a career in public interest work.  I want to work in a field that will build up our communities.  It is trite but true:  I want the work I do to be an investment in our future.  I felt that working in the criminal justice system was one way to try and make the world a better place.  Our legal system can be a messy and scary thing, so it helps to have a good attorney help you along.

However, the law was not a great fit for my personality.  I got to help people which I enjoyed.  But, I did not like all the arguing that comes with being a trial attorney.  I found satisfaction being in court but did not like all the lawyering behind the scenes.  So, when my husband's employment took us back to Nevada, I took it as an opportunity to try out another career before I fully committed to the law.

I learned that Nevada is in desperate need of teachers.  The Clark County School District has a program in place for those pursing a career change.  As long as you have a degree, you can apply to a program where you can obtain a temporary license to teach while working towards proper teaching credentials.   I had always wondered if I could be a teacher and now I would be able to find out.

So here I am.  A recovering attorney teaching English to 7th graders.  And guess what?  I think it is a good fit.  Don't get me wrong.  Teaching. Is. Hard.  This is my first year and it is brutal.  But, I feel comfortable and willing to face the challenges that have (and will) come my way.  And, it turns out I love working with 7th graders!!!  This age is a challenging time that straddles childhood and adulthood.  And I am glad that I am there as a support and guide for my students as they endure this challenging time.

By next week, I will have completed my first semester as a teacher.  Phew!

No comments:

Post a Comment